Knowbury is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1844 from Bitterley with Middleton Ancient Parish and Caynham Ancient Parish.
Parish church: St. Paul
Parish registers begin: 1840
Knowbury is an ecclesiastical parish and village, about 6 miles from Ludlow, in the Southern division of the county, Overs hundred, Ludlow union, and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Paul is a small stone structure, with square tower. The living is a vicarage, annual value £90 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Worcester. Knowbury is situated on the Clee Hills, celebrated for the hard rock or dark basalt, called Dhu stone, a vast quantity of which is brought down by a branch line of railway to Ludlow, and from thence by rail to London, Manchester, Liverpool, Stockport, Leamington, and Stafford; it is used extensively, especially in London, for the paving and repairing of the roads and streets. The trustees of the late Hon. R. Windsor Clive (lords of the manor) and A. R. Boughton Knight, Esq., of Downton Castle, are the principal landowners. The population of the new parish is 750.
Letters from Ludlow, arrive at 9 30 a.m.; dispatched at 3 30 p.m.
The Clive School, Robert Taylor, master; Mrs R. Taylor, mistress.
James Rev. John Burleigh, M.A.
Bate William, Three Crosses inn
Berrington John, farmer, Shop farm
Bowie Martha, The Crown inn
Clent Thomas, farmer, Heath farm
Glover Richard, potter, Clee hill
Clee Hill Dhu Stone Company, Thomas Roberts, manager
Knowbury Brick and Tile Company, John Millward, manager
Meyrick Richard, Royal Oak inn
Morris Thomas, farmer, Bennett’s End farm
Pearson J. and W. colliery proprietors
Taylor Robert, registrar of births and deaths
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s History, Gazetteer, & Directory of Shropshire. Printed Shrewsbury 1875.