Burford Shropshire Family History

St Mary, Burford

Burford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire. Boraston, Nash, and Whitton are chapelries of Burford.

Other places in the parish include: Boraston, Greet, Nash, Stoke, Tilsop, Weston, Whatmore, and Whitton.

Parish church: St Mary
Parish registers begin: 1558

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Burford

Burford Shropshire

Historical Descriptions

Burford

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Burford, a township and parish in the hund, of Overs, union of Tenbury, county of Salop; 1 mile west of Tenbury, on the river Teme; comprising the townships of Buraston with Whetmore, Nash, Tilsop and Weston, and Whitton. Living, a rectory in three portions, in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; rated — the first portion — at £9 13s. 4d.; gross income £392; the second, to which the curacy of Whitton is annexed, at £8; gross income £300; and the third, with the curacies of Buraston and Nash annexed, at £8 13s. 4d.; gross income £350. Patron, in 1835, the Rev. G. Rushout Bowles. “In this parish-church were three prebendaries, or portionists, in the beginning of the reign of King Edward I., and, in 13° Elizabeth, the college, or collegiate church here, was granted, with all that belonged to it, to William Jeames and John Grey.” — Tanner’s Not. Mon. This parish possesses an infant, and a day and Sunday school. Charities connected with it produce £10 per annum. Pop., in 1801, 819; in 1831, 1,086. Houses 212. Acres 8,370, of which 212 were in hops in 1837. A. P. £7,526. Poor rates, in 1837, £405. Pop. of the township, in 1801, 215; in 1821, 365. A. P. £2,663. Poor rates, in 1837, £173.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Burford (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Tenbury, hundred of Overs, S. division of Salop, 1½ mile (W. by S.) from Tenbury; containing, with the townships of Burford, Buraston, Greet, Nash, Stoke, Tilsop, Weston, Whatmore, and Whitton, 1031 inhabitants, of whom 297 are in the township of Burford. Licence for a weekly market and an annual fair was granted by Henry III. The Kington canal crosses the parish, on the northern side of the village. The living is a rectory, divided into three portions: the first is valued in the king’s books at £9. 13. 4., and has a net income of £377; the second, to which the chapel of Whitton is annexed, is valued at £8, and has an income of £286; and the third, to which the chapels of Buraston and Nash are annexed, is valued at £8. 13. 4., with an income of £335: they are all in the patronage of the Hon. and Rev. G. R. Bowles. A school is supported by subscription, and a small infants’ school by the rector.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV. Continue reading “Burford Shropshire Family History”

Kinsham Herefordshire Family History

All Saints' parish church, Kinsham, Herefordshire, seen from the southwest

Kinsham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.

Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin: 1594

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Kinsham

Kinsham Herefordshire

Historical Descriptions

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831

KINSHAM, a parish comprising Lower and Upper Kinsham, in the hundred of Wigmore, county of Hereford, 3½ miles (E.) from Presteigne, containing 107 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, and in the patronage of the Earl of Oxford.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831

Administration

  • County: Herefordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Presteigne
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Leominster
  • Poor Law Union: Kington
  • Hundred: Wigmore
  • Province: Canterbury

Credits

Photo of All Saints’ parish church, Kinsham, Herefordshire, seen from the southwest by Philip Pankhurst, some rights reserved.

Leinthall Earles Herefordshire Family History

St Andrew's parish church, Leinthall Earls, Herefordshire, seen from the southeast

Leinthall Earles is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Herefordshire, created in 1756 from a chapelry in Aymestrey Parish.

Parish church: St. Andrew
Parish registers begin: 1766

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Leinthall Earles

Leinthall Earles Herefordshire

Historical Descriptions

A Topographical Dictionary of England

LEINTHALL (EARLS), a chapelry in that part of the parish of Aymestrey which is in the hundred of Wigmore, county of Hereford, 7 miles (S. W.) from Ludlow. The population is returned with the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, endowed with £600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Aymestrey. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. A charity school here is endowed with about £9 a year, and a house and garden for the master. There is also an almshouse.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831

Administration

  • County: Herefordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Leominster
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Leominster
  • Poor Law Union: Leominster
  • Hundred: Wigmore
  • Province: Canterbury

Credits

Photo of St Andrew’s parish church, Leinthall Earls, Herefordshire, seen from the southeast by Philip Pankhurst, some rights reserved.

Lingen Herefordshire Family History

St Michael & All Angels Church

Lingen is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.

Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin: 1751

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Lingen

Lingen Herefordshire

Historical Descriptions

illage street at Lingen Lingen is largely a single street village. Here looking northwards from the bridge over the Lime Brook.
Village street at Lingen Lingen is largely a single street village. Here looking northwards from the bridge over the Lime Brook. The copyright on this image is owned by Trevor Rickard and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831

Lingen, a parish in the hundred of Wigmore, county of Hereford, 4 miles (E. N.E.) from Presteigne, containing 284 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, endowed with £1000 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Rev. Thomas Wynn. The church is dedicated to St. Michael.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831

Administration

  • County: Herefordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Presteigne
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Leominster
  • Poor Law Union: Kington
  • Hundred: Wigmore
  • Province: Canterbury

Credits

Photo of St Michael & All Angels Church. View north from the churchyard to the porch. The stone parts of the tower and the benches date from the 16th century, but today’s building is mainly as a result of the major renovation in 1891. by Trevor Rickard, some rights reserved.

Wigmore Herefordshire Family History

Wigmore Early 1900s

Wigmore is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.

Places in the parish include: Limebrook.

Parish church: St. James
Parish registers begin: 1572

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Wigmore

Wigmore Herefordshire

Historical Descriptions

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831

Wigmore castle early 1900s. Photographer Percy Benzie Abery (1877–1948)
Wigmore castle early 1900s. Photographer Percy Benzie Abery (1877–1948)

WIGMORE, a parish in the hundred of WIGMORE, county of HEREFORD, 10 miles (N.W. by N.) from Leominster, containing, with the township of Limebrook, 429 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king’s books at £8, endowed with £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Hereford. The church is dedicated to St. James. Limestone abounds here, and it is supposed that coal may be obtained in the neighbourhood. A court leet is occasionally held; and there are fairs for cattle, sheep, &c., on May 6th and August 5th. On a commanding elevation, a little to the westward of the village, are the ivy-mantled ruins of Wigmore castle, the outer works of which are the most perfect : the massive fragments of the keep occupy the summit of a lofty artificial mound, and present an appearance highly grand and picturesque : the founder of this once stately edifice is now unknown, but it is recorded that Edward the Elder caused it to be repaired. It was taken from Edric, Earl of Shrewsbury, by Ranulph de Mortimer, who came over with the Conqueror, and made it his principal seat. The same nobleman, in 1100, established in the parish church a small college of three prebendaries, which continued till 1179, when his son Hugh founded, in honour of St. James, a noble abbey for monks of the order of St. Augustine, about one mile distant from the castle, and endowed it so amply that, at the dissolution, its revenue was estimated at £302. 12. 3. An Alien priory, a cell to that of Aveney in Normandy, is said to have existed, at an early period, at Limebrook in this parish; but it is more certain that a priory of nuns of the order of St. Augustine was founded there by the Mortimers, some time in the reign of Richard I., which at the suppression was valued at £23. 17. 8. In the neighbourhood are traces of a Danish camp.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831

Administration

  • County: Herefordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Ludlow
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Leominster
  • Poor Law Union: Ludlow
  • Hundred: Wigmore
  • Province: Canterbury

Credits

Photo of Wigmore Early 1900s. by Percy Benzie Abery (1877–1948) , Public Domain.

Whitton Shropshire Genealogy & Family History

Nave and west tower of the parish church of St Mary the Virgin, Whitton, Shropshire, seen from the southeast.

Whitton is a chapelry of Burford Ancient Parish in Shropshire.

Parish church: St Mary the Virgin
Parish registers begin: 1825

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Whitton

Whitton Shropshire

Historical Descriptions

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Whitton, a township in the parish of Burford, hund. of Overs, union of Tenbury, county of Salop; 3½ miles north-west by north of Tenbury. Tithes of Whitton, with those of Vennington-Marsh and Wigmore, commuted in 1840; aggregate amount £324 17s. 5d. Acreage with the parish. Houses 14. A.P. £1,094. Pop., in 1801, 62; in 1831, 76. Poor rates, in 1838, £31 12s. See Burford.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831

WHITTON, a township in the parish of BURFORD, hundred of OVERS, county of SALOP, 3½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Tenbury, containing 68 inhabitants.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831

Poll books

Whitton Shropshire Poll Book 1865

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Tenbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Burford
  • Poor Law Union: Tenbury
  • Hundred: Overs
  • Province: Canterbury

Credits

Photo of Nave and west tower of the parish church of St Mary the Virgin, Whitton, Shropshire, seen from the southeast. by Philip Halling, some rights reserved.