Great Gransden is an Ancient Parish in the county of Huntingdonshire.
Parish church: St. Bartholomew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Particular Baptist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Little Gransden, Cambridgeshire
- Croxton, Cambridgeshire
- Eltisley, Cambridgeshire
- Longstowe, Cambridgeshire
- Caxton, Cambridgeshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GRANSDEN (Great), a village and a parish in the district of Caxton and county of Huntingdon. The village stands adjacent to Cambridgeshire, 3 miles NNE of Gamlingay r. station, and 7 SE by E of St. Neots; and has a post office under Royston. The parish comprises 3, 364 acres. Real property, £5, 037. Pop., 641. Houses, 13 4. There are four manors; and they belong to four different parties. The surface is woody; and the rocks are rich in fossils. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £200. Patron, Clare Hall, Cambridge. The church was built in the 14th century; and consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with porches and tower. There are a Baptist chapel, alms-houses, and other charities £64.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
GRANSDEN, GREAT (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union of Caxton and Arrington, hundred of Toseland, county of Huntingdon, 7¼ miles (S. E. by E.) from St. Neot’s; containing 622 inhabitants. The parish comprises 3360 acres, of which 515 are common, and the remainder arable; the soil in the lower lands is loam, resting on gravel or sand, and in other places clayey. Ironstone is found in some parts; and throughout the parish are scattered many diluvial remains, consisting of primitive and secondary rocks, numerous fossils, mineralized wood and vegetables, and the vertebræ of the ichthyosaurus. An inclosure act was passed in 1843. The village is situated on the declivity of a hill at the southern extremity of the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £5. 7. 3½.; net income, £200; patrons and impropriators, the Master and Fellows of Clare Hall, Cambridge. There is a place of worship for Baptists. A school was built by subscription in 1664, and endowed under the will of the Rev. B. Oley, then vicar, with £20 per annum.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Huntingdonshire
- Civil Registration District: Caxton
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of Lincoln and of the Archdeacon in the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon
- Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
- Rural Deanery: St Neots
- Poor Law Union: Caxton
- Hundred: Toseland
- Province: Canterbury