Much Dewchurch is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.

Parish church: St. Thomas the Martyr / St. David

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1559
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1661

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

DEWCHURCH (Much), a parish in the district and county of Hereford; 2¼ miles ESE of St. Devereux r. station, and 6 SSW of Hereford. It has a post office under Ross. Acres, 4,878. Real property, £5,544. Pop., 608. Houses, 117. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £440. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is tolerable; and there are charities £12.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Dewchurch (Much), a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Wormelow, union and county of Hereford; 6 miles south-west by south of Hereford, in the vicinity of the Abergavenny and Hereford railway. Living, a discharged vicarage with the perpetual curacy of Birch Much, in the archd. and dio. of Hereford; rated at £9 13s. 4d.; gross income £480. Patrons, in 1835, trustees of T. G. Symonds. There is a daily school here. Charities, £12 per annum. Hops are cultivated to some extent in this parish. Acres 4,890. Houses 102. A. P. £4,296. Pop., in 1801, 482 ; in 1831, 573. Poor rates, in 1837, £269.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Much Dewchurch (St. Thomas the Martyr), a parish, in the Upper division of the hundred of Wormelow, union and county of Hereford, 6½ miles (S. W. by S.) from Hereford; containing 579 inhabitants. A great portion of the northern extremity of Saddlebow hill is embraced within the southern boundary of the parish, which contains 4251 acres, and is crossed by the road from Ross to Thruxton. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King’s books at £9. 13. 4.; net income, £474; patron, G. Simons, Esq.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Parish Records

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Herefordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Hereford
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Archenfield
  • Poor Law Union: Hereford
  • Hundred: Wormelow
  • Province: Canterbury