Icomb, Gloucestershire

Icomb is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Church Icomb, Westward Icomb, and Round Horn.

Alternative names: Iccomb

Parish church: (St. Mary

Parish registers begin: 1545

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Icomb

  • Wyck Rissington
  • Bledington
  • Westcote
  • Oddington
  • Stow-on-the-Wold

Historical Descriptions

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Iccomb (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Stow, partly in the Upper division of the hundred of Slaughter, E. division of the county of Gloucester, but chiefly in the Upper division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Blockley and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 3 miles (S. E.) from Stow ; containing 162 inhabitants, of whom 16 are in Gloucestershire. The living is a rectory, valued in the King’s books at £8 ; net income, £149; patrons, Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1809. There is a chalybeate spring. An alien priory was founded by Gervaise Paganel, as a cell to Wenlock priory, the revenue of which, at the suppression, was £36. 3. Here are the remains of an encampment, supposed to be Danish.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Iccomb – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, upper division, 2 miles from Stow-on-the-Wold, and 81 from London containing 31 inhabited houses. It is entirely surrounded by Gloucestershire. The living is a rectory; Rev. John Harward, incumbent; instituted 1796; in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. Population, 1801, 112 – 1811, 143 – 1821, 146.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Laird Description of Worcestershire 1814

Iccomb is another detached spot, completely insulated by Gloucestershire. It has nothing particularly deserving of notice, except the ancient church, where there is a curious tomb of a knight in armour, surrounded by seven figures, some of which are in religious habits: it lies in a chapel on the south side, under a pointed arch in the wall, and in what is called “Cope’s burying-place.”

Source: A Topographical and Historical Description of the County of Worcester, by Mr. Laird. Printed for Sherwood, Neely, and Jones, Paternoster Row; and George Cowie and Co. successors to Vernor, Hood, and Sharp, 31, Poultry, London. Printed circa 1814.

Icombe Marriages


Icombe Marriages 1754 to 1812
Icombe Marriages 1665 to 1753
Icombe Marriages 1563 to 1664


Iccomb or Icomb Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876
Icomb Gloucestershire Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863
Icomb Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
Iccomb (Icomb) Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820


  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Stow on the Wold
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Stow
  • Poor Law Union: Stow on the Wold
  • Hundred: Slaughter
  • Province: Canterbury