Hatherleigh is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Devon.
Parish registers begin: 1558
- Bible Christian Methodist
- Particular Baptist
- Protestant Dissenters
- Society of Friends/Quaker
Parishes adjacent to Hatherleigh
- Black Torrington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HATHERLEIGH, a small town, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Okehampton district, Devon. The town stands on the rivulet Lew, near its influx to the Torridge, 8 miles WNW of North Tawton r. station, and 16 SE of Bideford; will have a station on the branch of the Devon. and Cornwall railway to Bude and Torrington; is a nominal borough, governed by a portreeve and other officers; is also a seat of petty sessions, and a polling place; and has a head post office, designated Hatherleigh, North Devon, a good inn, a market house, public rooms, a newly erected police station, a church, two dissenting chapels, a national school, and charities £15. The market house was built in 1840, to serve for a revived market which had been defunct for more than 50 years. The public rooms were built in 1821; and serve for benefit societies, for reading rooms, and for lectures. The church is later English, and good; and consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with tower and spire. A weekly market is held on Tuesday; and fairs are held on 21 May, 22 June, 4 Sept., and 8 Nov. A woollen manufacture was formerly carried on, but is extinct; and the chief industry now is in brick and tile making, stone quarrying, and farm labour. Jasper Mayne, the preacher and dramatic writer, was a native. The parish comprises 7,048 acres. Real property, £5,256. Pop., 1,645. Houses, 323. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged formerly to Tavistock abbey; and belongs now to J. L. Oldham, Esq. There are several good residences. A moor in the parish commands a magnificent panoramic view, and has a monument to Col. Morris, who figured in the memorable charge at Balaklava. A tract of about 430 acres of the moor was given to the town by the abbots of Tavistock. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £202. Patron, the Trustees of the late J. Ireland, Esq. The sub-district contains seven parishes. Acres, 26,143. Pop., 3,986. Houses, 783.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Fully searchable online newspapers
Western Morning News
Exeter and Plymouth Gazette
North Devon Journal
Express and Echo
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Aggett Thomas, Hatherleigh, Devonshire, linen draper. May 27, 1831.
Turner John, Hatherleigh, Devonshire, spirit merchant, Nov. 18, 1828.
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: Okehampton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Okehampton
- Poor Law Union: Okehampton
- Hundred: Black Torrington
- Province: Canterbury