Pleasley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Derbyshire.
Other places in the parish include: Stoney Houghton and Houghton Stoney.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1553
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1665
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- Skegby, Nottinghamshire
- Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire
- Teversal, Nottinghamshire
- Mansfield St Peter and St Paul, Nottinghamshire
- Upper Langwith
- Ault Hucknall
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PLEASLEY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in the district of Mansfield and county of Derby. The village stands on the river Meden, at the boundary with Notts, 3¼ miles NW of Mansfield r. station; was once a market town; and has a post-office under Mansfield, and fairs on 6 May and 29 Oct. The old market cross still stands on the brow of an adjacent hill. The parish contains also the chapelry of Shirebrook and the hamlet of Stoney-Houghton. Acres, 3,750. Real property, £14,639; of which £9,000 are in ironworks. Pop., 613. Houses, 132. The property is divided among a few. P. Vale House is the seat of W. Hollins, Esq. P. vale is a romantic spot, 1¼ mile from the village; shows limestone cliffs and ravines; and has two neat factories for cotton and merino spinning. Roman coins and a Roman pavement have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £493. Patron, W. P. Thornhill, Esq. The church is a long narrow structure, with ill-proportioned tower; and the chancel was rebuilt in 1847. The p. curacy of Shirebrook is a separate benefice. There are a Methodist meeting-place, a mechanics' institute, and charities £10. The sub-district contains also 4 other parishes and a township. Acres, 16,294. Pop., 2,484. Houses, 510.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Mansfield
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Chesterfield
Poor Law Union: Mansfield