St Hilary is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Rosudgeon, Rudgevean, and Halamanning.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1677
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1609
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Bible Christian Methodist, Methodist, Roman Catholic, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HILARY (ST.), a parish in Penzance district, Cornwall; near Mount’s bay, 3 miles E by S of Marazion Road r. station, and 5 E by N of Penzance. It adjoins the extra-parochial tract of St. Michael’s Mount, and includes the town of Marazion, which has a post office, designated Marazion, Cornwall. Acres, 3,657; of which 190 are water. Real property, £9,607; of which £813 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 3,021; in 1861, 3,459. Houses, 687. Granite and slate are the chief rocks; and copper and tin ores are worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £311. Patrons, the Duke of Leeds and others. The church stands on high ground forms a conspicuous landmark; was recently rebuilt; and contains monuments of the Godolphins and others. The p. curacy of Marazion is a separate benefice. There are several dissenting chapels. Palmer, the Nonconformist, and Hitchins, the astronomer, were vicars. See Marazion.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Penzance
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Penwith
- Poor Law Union: Penzance
- Hundred: Penwith
- Province: Canterbury