Over Peover is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cheshire, created in 1827 from Peover Superior chapelry in Rostherne Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Snelson.
Alternative names: Over Peover, Peover Superior
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1664
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PEOVER (Over), a chapelry in Rostherne parish, Cheshire; on the river Peover. 2½ miles WSW of Chelford r. station, and 3½ SSE of Knutsford. It comprises the townships of Peover Superior, Marthall, and Snelson; and it has a post-office under Knutsford. Acres, 5,088. Real property, £9,055. Pop., 942. Houses, 178. The property is subdivided. The manor of Peover Superior, with Peover Hall, belongs to Sir H. Mainwaring, Bart. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £180. Patron, Sir H. Mainwaring, Bart. The church consists of nave, chancel, and two side chapels, with a tower; was mainly rebuilt in 1811; and contains monuments of the Mainwarings. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a free school, and charities £85.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Altrincham
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Frodsham
- Poor Law Union: Altrincham
- Hundred: Bucklow
- Province: York