Yeadon is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire, created in 1845 from Guiseley Ancient Parish.
The name comes from Old English gæh and dūn meaning steep hill, and the hilly part of the High Street has been known as “the Steep” for centuries.
Other places in the parish include: Upper Yeadon, Upper and Lower Yeadon, Lower Yeadon, Henshaw, and Apperley Lane.
Alternative names: Guiseley St John the Evangelist
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1844
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1847
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Bradford St Peter
In the Medieval Period there were only thirty or so households scattered around three points: where the town centre and where the Woolpack is now, and a smaller group of cottages further to the West along Yeadon Gill. Sheep were farmed and the wool made into cloth locally, while Yeadon Gill provided water power for a corn mill.
Despite the Civil War the area prospered and the population more than doubled to over 400 during the 17th century, with 93 hearths (i.e. fireplace with chimney) recorded. The medieval parcels of land were traded into more efficient farms and a new mill built. The town developed a significant social organization with Poor relief and a Constable.
The 18th century saw the establishment of a school (now Layton Cottage) and stone houses in place of the wattle and daub cottages, a windmill and the first steam engine operated mill. The people worshipped at the parish church in Guiseley, some distance away. In 1714 there were calls for Yeadon to have its own parish church which they finally achieved in 1844.
In the 19th century, the population rose rapidly from 1,695 in 1801 to 4,109 in 1851 and 7,396 in 1891 as it became a manufacturing rather than farming town. It was particularly noted for women’s apparel.
To assist trade, a new road was built in 1827 through Yeadon, linking Kirkstall with Guiseley and the railway followed in the 1840s.
In 1845 it was administratively separated from Guiseley.
By 1853 it had gas piped by the “Yeadon and Guiseley Gas Light Co”.
The watercourse became badly polluted by effluent from Bradford, Shipley and Bingley, leading to a successful court case against Bradrod Corporation in 1868.
The Yeadon Waterworks sank a new well in 1861 and began the Cold Harbour Reservoir in 1877.
The town’s Board of Health was established in 1863, and set up the cemetery and buildings in 1876.
In 1880 the town had its own “Yeadon Town Hall and Mechanics’ Institute”.
Increasing social unrest and labour disputes in the early 20th century led to a major lockout and subsequent hunger marches in 1913. As a result of the dispute, the working week in the textile mills was shortened, and workers received a pay rise, although this fell short of the demands of the trade unions who in consequence streamlined their organisation.
In 1937 it became part of the Aireborough district, being the most populous township of over ten thousand.
Historical Descriptions of Yeadon
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
YEADON, a town, a township-chapelry, and a sub-district, in Wharfedale district, W. R. Yorkshire. The town stands on a hill, 2 miles E of Apperley r. station, and 3 S of Otley; is an unshapely place; carries on woollen manufacture; and has a post-office under Leeds, a modern church, with pinnacled tower, three Methodist chapels, and a national school. Pop. in 1861, 4,109. Houses, 863. The chapelry includes Apperley-lane and Henshaw; is in Guiseley parish; and comprises 1,660 acres. Real property, £9,960; of which £68 are in quarries, and £72 in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 4,109; in 1861, 4,259. Houses, 894. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £300. Patron, the Rector of Guiseley.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch Catalog - Free
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Town Hall Square, Yeadon (Yeadon Central Methodists) : burial registers (1844) & 1852-1944 and memorial inscriptions in the chapel graveyard, 1973 Author: Wolstenhulme, Les
A Transcript of the court rolls of Yeadon, 1361-1476 : with the early rentals and accounts of Esholt Priory, charters, deeds and associated material to 1500 A.D. : dissolution rentals and accounts Author: Whittle, Stephen J.; Price, G. R.; Manor of Yeadon. Court
- County: Yorkshire
- Civil Registration District: Otley
- Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
- Diocese: Post-1835 - Ripon, Pre-1836 - York
- Rural Deanery: Pontefract
- Poor Law Union: Wharfedale
- Hundred: Skyrack
- Province: York