Yarm is a chapelry of Kirk Levington Ancient Parish in Yorkshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1649
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1609
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, Society of Friends/Quaker, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.
- Kirk Levington
- Stainton in Cleveland
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
YARM, a small town, a parish, and a sub-district, in the district of Stockton and N. R. Yorkshire. The town stands on the river Tees and on the Northallerton and Stockton railway, 4½ miles SSW of Stockton; occupies low ground, subject to inundation by the river; had a black friary, founded in the early part of the 13th century, and now giving name to the seat of E. Meynell, Esq., on its site; rose to some consequence as a place of trade and commerce, but declined on account of its proximity to Stockton; possesses many granaries and warehouses, erected for its commerce, and now chiefly unoccupied; still carries on exportation of agricultural produce, and partakes with Stockton in the salmon-fishery of the Tees; is a seat of petty-sessions; consists chiefly of one long spacious street; is flanked, nearly along its entire length, by a railway viaduct of 43 arches; and has a head post-office, a r. station, a banking office, a good inn, a police station, a town hall and market place, a stone bridge partly of the year 1400, a church rebuilt in 1730, three dissenting chapels, a handsome Roman Catholic chapel of 1860, an endowed grammar-school with £21 a year, a national school, an infant school, a mechanics’ institute, charities £37, a paper mill, and four annual fairs. The parish comprises 1,135 acres. Real property, £4,907; of which £24 are in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 1,647; in 1861, 1,401. Houses, 353. The decrease of pop. arose from removal of labourers employed in railway works. The manor belongs to E. Meynell, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value £300. Patron, the Archbishop of York.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch Catalog - Free
Poorhouses, poor law, etc.
- County: Yorkshire
- Civil Registration District: Stockton
- Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
- Diocese: York
- Rural Deanery: Cleveland
- Poor Law Union: Stockton
- Hundred: Langbaurgh
- Province: York