Worsborough Yorkshire Family History Guide

Worsborough is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire, created in 1722 from chapelry in Darfield Ancient Parish. 

Alternative names: Worsbrough

Other places in the parish include: Worsbrough Dale, Worsbrough Common, Worsborough Green, Worsborough Dale, Ward Green, Swaith, Pinden Oaks, Pantry Green, Ouslethwaite, Lob Wood, Blacker, and Birdwell. 

Riding: West Riding

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1559
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600

Nonconformists include: Methodist New Connexion and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

  • Barnsley St Mary
  • Darfield
  • Wortley
  • Ardsley
  • Barnsley St George
  • Nether Hoyland
  • Tankersley
  • Stainbrough

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

WORSBROUGH, a township, two chapelries, and a sub-district, in Barnsley district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the South Yorkshire railway and on a branch of the Dearne and Dove canal, 2½ miles S by E of Barnsley; is in Darfield parish; contains W., W.-Dale, W.-Common, and Blacker villages and seven hamlets; and has a r. station at Birdwell, and post-offices of Worsbrough-Dale and Worsbrough-Bridge under Barnsley. Acres, 3,594. Real property, £31,760; of which £19,480 are in mines, and £25 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 4,277; in 1861, 5,381. Houses, 1,076. The property is subdivided. W. manor belongs to F. W. Wentworth, Esq.; and Darley manor, to J. Jeffcock, Esq. W. Hall, Darley Hall, Ouselthwaite, and Round Green are chief residences. There are extensive collieries, iron-works, chemical works, glass-works, gunpowder-mills, paper-mills, and corn mills. The chapelries are St. Mary and St. Thomas; and the livings are vicarages in the diocese of York. Value of St. Mary, £120; of St. Thomas, £113. St. Mary's church was mostly rebuilt in 1839; and is in the later English style, with tower and spire. St. Thomas' church was built in 1859, at a cost of £3,500; and is in the early English style, with tower and spire. There are four dissenting chapels, two endowed schools with £31 a year, and charities £46. The sub-district includes Stainbrough township, and comprises 5,286 acres. Pop., 5,851. Houses, 1,174.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Balk Langdale A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire 1822

Balk, f. h. in the township of Worsbrough, and parish of Darfield; 3 miles from Barnsley, 9 from Rotherham.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire By Thomas Langdale. Second Edition. Printed and Sold by J. Langdale; and sold by T. Langdale, Ripon. 1822.

Bank Top – Langdale A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire 1822

Bank-Top, s. h. in the township of Worsbrough, and parish of Darfield, wapentake of Staincross, 1 ¼ mile from Barnsley.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire By Thomas Langdale. Second Edition. Printed and Sold by J. Langdale; and sold by T. Langdale, Ripon. 1822.

Administration

County: Yorkshire
Civil Registration District: Barnsley
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Diocese: York
Rural Deanery: Doncaster
Poor Law Union: Barnsley
Hundred: Staincross
Province: York