Wadsley is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire, created in 1841 from Ecclesfield Ancient Parish; located on Worral Road.
Other places in the parish include: Wadsley Bridge.
Alternative names: Ecclesfield Wadsley Church
Riding: West Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1834
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1848
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Sheffield St Philip
- Sheffield St Peter and St Paul
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WADSLEY, a chapelry, with several villages, in Ecclesfield township, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Don and on the Manchester and Sheffield railway, 3 miles NW of Sheffield. It was constituted in 1841: and it has a post-office under Sheffield and a r. station, both of the name of Wadsley-Bridge. Pop., 3,849. Houses, 787. There are numerous villas. Most of the inhabitants are employed in rolling-mills and cutlery manufacture. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £230. Patron, Miss Harrison. The church was built in 1834. There are Wesleyan chapels, a national school, and 6 alms houses.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Wortley
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Rural Deanery: Doncaster
Poor Law Union: Wortley
Hundred: Strafforth and Tickhill