Stanwick St John is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Other places in the parish include: East Layton, Barforth, Aldbrough near Richmond, Aldbrough, and Aldborough.
Alternative names: Stanwick, St John Stanwick
Riding: North Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1652
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1615
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Forcett with Carkin
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STANWICK-ST. JOHN, a township and a parish in Richmond district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies 3 miles S by W of Pierce-Bridge r. station, and 7½ NNE of Richmond. Acres, 1,363. Real property, £1,792. Pop., 53. Houses, 10. The manor, with S. House, belongs to the Duke of Northumberland. The parish contains also the townships of Caldwell, East Layton, and Aldbrough; the last of which has a post-office under Darlington. Acres, 6,045. Pop. in 1851,959; in 1861, 768. Houses, 182. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £61 . Patron, J. Wharton, Esq. The church is ancient. Charities, £14.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Aldbrough Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Aldbrough, 7 m. N.by E. Richmond. P. incl. in St. John-Stanwick
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Civil Registration District: Richmond (Yorkshire)
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Eastern Deaneries - Richmond
Diocese: Post-1835 - Ripon, Pre-1836 - York
Rural Deanery: Richmond
Poor Law Union: Richmond
Hundred: West Gilling