Sherburn in Elmet is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Other places in the parish include: the townships of Barkston-Ash, Lotherton-cum-Aberford, Micklefield, Newthorpe, South Milford, and Huddleston and Lamby and the hamlet of Linnerton.
Alternative names: Sherburn, Sherburn near Leeds
Status: Ancient Parish
Riding: West Riding
Parish registers begin:
Sherburn in Elmet:
- Parish registers: 1640
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1603
- Parish registers: 1846
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Sherburn in Elmet
Sherburn in Elmet
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SHERBURN, a small town and a township in Tadcaster district, and a parish partly also in Pontefract district, W. R. Yorkshire. The town stands 1¼ mile N of the Leeds and Selby railway, 1¾ NW of Milford-Junction, and 12 E of Leeds; had an ancient palace of King Athelstan, and a residence of the Archbishops of York; is now a seat of petty sessions; and has a station on the railway, a post-office under South Milford, a Norman church with a tower, a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed grammar-school, with £195 a year, and with 4 scholarships at St. John's college, Cambridge, another endowed school with £114 a year, some small charities, a weekly market on Friday, and a fair on 25 Sept. The township contains also the hamlet of Linnerton, and comprises 3,500 acres. Real property, £7,104. Pop., 1,465. Houses, 311. The property is much subdivided. The parish contains also the townships of Barkston-Ash, Lotherton-cum-Aberford, Micklefield, Newthorpe, South Milford, and Huddleston and Lamby. Acres, 11,896. Pop. in 1851, 3,754; in 1861, 3,944. Houses, 837. Several of the manors, with Lotherton Hall, belong to Lord Ashtown. Ashfield House, Mill House, Milford House, and Huddleston Hall are chief residences. Coal, limestone, and building-stone are worked. The living is a vicarage with Micklefield chapelry, in the diocese of York.Value, £150. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The rectory of South Milford is a separate benefice. Two churches, three Wesleyan chapels, a Primitive Methodist chapel, and two national schools are in the parts beyond S. township.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Barkston Langdale A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire 1822
Barkston, (which gives name to the wapentake) in the parishes of Sherburn and Saxton, wapentake of Barkston-Ash, liberty of Pontefract; 4 miles from Abberford, 5 from Tadcaster, 11 from Pontefract. – Pop. 251.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire By Thomas Langdale. Second Edition. Printed and Sold by J. Langdale; and sold by T. Langdale, Ripon. 1822.
Barkston Poll Book W.R. Yorkshire 1841
Family History Links
- County: Yorkshire
- Civil Registration District: Tadcaster
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Prebend of Fenton
- Diocese: York
- Rural Deanery: New Ainsty
- Poor Law Union: Great Preston Gilbert Union
- Hundred: Barkstone Ash
- Province: York