Oxenhope is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire, created in 1845 from Haworth chapelry in Bradford St Peter Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Near Oxenhope and Far Oxenhope.
Alternative names: Bradford St Mary
Riding: West Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1848
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Methodist, and Particular Baptist.
- Denholme Gate
- Wilsden cum Allerton
- Halifax St James
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
OXENHOPE, two hamlets and a chapelry in Bradford parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The hamlets are called Far O. and Near O.; lie about 2 miles S of Haworth r.station, and 5 S of Keighley; and have a post-office, of the name of Oxenhope, under Keighley. The chapelry extends westward to the boundary with Lancashire, and was constituted in 1845. Rated property, £5,356. Pop.in 1851, 2,997; in 1861, 2,880. Houses, 594. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Capt. Edwards. Mould Grange is the residence of J. Rushworth, Esq.; and Hey House, of Mr. J. O. Ackroyd. Worsted manufacture is carried on. The living is a p.curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £150. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1849, at a cost of about £1,300; and is in the early Norman style, with a tower. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans and a free grammar-school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Keighley
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Diocese: Post-1835 - Ripon, Pre-1836 - York
Rural Deanery: Pontefract
Poor Law Union: Bradford