Owthorne is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Other places in the parish include: Waxholme, South Frodingham, and Rimswell.
Alternative names: Owthorne and Rimswell
Riding: East Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1574
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Tunstall in Holderness
- Hollym and Withernsea
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
OWTHORNE, a village, a township, and a parish, in Patrington district, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the coast, ¾ of a mile N of Withernsea r. station, and 4½ N E of Patrington; has, at various periods, sustained considerable damage from encroachments of the sea; and is now a sea-bathing resort. The township comprises 1,100 acres of land, and 178 of water. Real property, £2,711. Pop. in 1851, 163; in 1861, 424. Houses, 84. The increase of pop. was caused mainly by extension of railway communication. The parish contains also the townships of Waxholme, South Frodingham, and Rimswell; and its post town is Withernsea, under Hull. Acres, 4,430; of which 391 are water. Real property, £7,070. Pop. in 1851, 462; in 1861, 704. Houses, 141. The property is much subdivided. An ancient British canoe, horns of the red deer, and portions of trees were not long ago found near the site of the village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £282. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The old church was destroyed by the sea, during a storm in 1816. The new church stands at Rimswell, about 2 miles from the sea; and is an edifice of yellow brick, with a tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Patrington
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Rural Deanery: South Holderness
Poor Law Union: Patrington