Owston is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Other places in the parish include: Skellow, Holme, and Carcroft.
Riding: West Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1683
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Kirk Sandall
- Kirk Bramwith
- Barnby upon Don
- Adwick le Street
- Doncaster St George
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
OWSTON, a village, a township, and a parish in Doncaster district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 2 miles SSW of Askern r. station, and 5 N by W of Doncaster; and is noted for cream cheeses. The township contains also the hamlets of Carcroft and Holme. Acres, 1,944. Real property, £2,313. Pop., 269. Houses, 60. The parish contains also the township of Skellow; and its post town is Doncaster. Acres, 2,926. Real property, £3,941. Pop., 454. Houses, 98. The manor, with Owston Hall and most of the land, belongs to P. B. D. Cooke, Esq. O. Hall is an old mansion; was recently very much improved; stands in a park of about 200 acres; and is now occupied by H. Hood, Esq. The parish is a meet for the Badsworth hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £93. Patron, P. B. D. Cooke, Esq. The church is ancient; was restored in 1865; contains several handsome monuments to the Cooke family; and stands on the N side of O. park. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Doncaster
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Rural Deanery: Doncaster
Poor Law Union: Doncaster