Overton with Shipton Yorkshire Family History Guide

Overton with Shipton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.

Other places in the parish include: Shipton near York and Shipton.

Alternative names: Overton

Riding: North Riding

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1593
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1601

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

  • Newton upon Ouse
  • York St Olave with St Giles
  • Easingwold
  • Nether Poppleton
  • Moor Monkton
  • Sutton on the Forest
  • Skelton

Historical Descriptions

Overton

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

OVERTON, a township in York district, and a parish partly also in Great Ouseburn district, but all in N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Ouse, near the North eastern railway, 2 miles S of Shipton r. station, and 4½ NW of York; and includes the site of a Roman station. Acres, 1,003. Pop., 68. Houses, 11. The parish contains also the township of Shipton, and the greater part of the township of Skelton. Post-town, York. Acres, with the rest of Skelton, 5,163. Rated property, with the rest of Skelton, £6,943. Pop. of the parish, in 1851, 699; in 1861, 763. Houses, 148. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Shipton, in the diocese of York. Value, £214. Patron, the Hon. P. Dawnay. The church was rebuilt in 1855, and has a stained-glass E window. A free school is at Shipton; was founded in 1655, by Anne Middleton; and, together with other charities, has £40 a year from endowment.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Shipton

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

SHIPTON, a township-chapelry, with a village, in Overton parish, N. R. Yorkshire; on the Northeastern railway, 6 miles NW by N of York. It has a station on the railway, and a post-office under York. Acres, 1,840. Real property, £2,820. Pop., 440. Houses, 83. The manor belongs to the Hon. P. Dawnay. The living is annexed to Overton. The church is good, and has a tower and spire. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, an endowed grammar-school, and a national school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

Monumental inscriptions : Shipton by Beningbrough, Church of the Holy Evangelists & Overton, St. Cuthbert's

Census returns for Overton, 1841-1891

Census returns for Shipton, 1841-1891

Bishop's transcripts for Overton, near York, 1601-1848

Parish chest and poor law records, 1754-1895

Parish registers of Overton (near York), 1593-1962

Parish registers of Shipton (near York), 1849-1981

Computer printout of Overton by Ouse, Yorks., Eng

Parish chest and poor law records, 1754-1895

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Yorkshire
Civil Registration District: York
Probate Court: Search the courts of the surrounding parishes
Diocese: York
Rural Deanery: Bulmer
Poor Law Union: York
Hundred: Bulmer
Province: York