Over Silton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire, created in 1757 from chapelry Kilburn Ecclesiastical Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Kepwick.
Riding: North Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1678
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1601
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Kirby Sigston
- Felixkirk with Boltby
- Nether Silton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SILTON (Over), a township in Northallerton district, and a parish partly also in Thirsk district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies 6¼ miles E by N of Northallerton r. station. Acres, 1,174. Real property, £968. Pop., 94. Houses, 18. The parish contains also Kepwick township, and comprises 3,694 acres. Post town, Northallerton. Pop., 255. Houses, 59. About one-third of the land is moor. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £98. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is tolerable.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Northallerton
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Rural Deanery: Bulmer
Poor Law Union: Northallerton