Ovenden is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire, created in 1843 from Halifax St John the Baptist Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Upper Brockholes, Pellon, Wheatley, Nursery Lane, Mount Tabor, Mount Pellon, Moorside, Mixenden, Lee Bridge, Jumples, Holdsworth, Hebble Bridge, and Bradshaw.
Alternative names: Halifax St George
Riding: West Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1830
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Methodist New Connexion, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Halifax St James
- Halifax St John the Baptist
- Queen’s Head
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
OVENDEN, a village, a township, and a sub-district, in Halifax parish and district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 1½ mile NW of Halifax; is a large and scattered place; and has a post-office under Halifax. The township contains also the chapelry of Illingworth, parts of the chapelries of Mount-Pellon and Bradshaw, the villages of Holdsworth, Jumples, Lee-Bridge, Moorside, and Mount Tabor, and the hamlets of Mixenden, Nursery-Lane, Hebble-Bridge, Wheatley, and Upper Brock-holes; and extends nearly 5 miles from Halifax. Acres, 5,170. Real property, £26,470; of which £391 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 12,738; in 1861, 11,067. Houses, 2,344. The decrease of pop. was caused mainly by depression of hand-loom weaving and hand wool-combing, and by reduction in the number of hands employed in mills. The manor and much of the land belong to the Earl of Scarborough. Ovenden House, Hebble House, Scausby Hall, Lee Bank, Glenvue Hall, Clough, Jumples House, and Forest House are chief residences. A worsted mill, a pottery, and coal pits are in Bradshaw; worsted and cotton mills are at Hebble-Bridge; worsted mills are at Jumples and in Illingworth; woollen and cotton mills are at Lee-Bridge; worsted mills and a brewery are at Mixenden; worsted mills and an iron foundry are at Moorside; a brewery is at Mount Tabor; and worsted mills, bleaching-works, and dye-houses are at Wheatley. Churches are at Illingworth, Mount-Pellon, and Bradshaw; a room used as a chapel of ease is at Ovenden Cross; Independent chapels are at Mixenden and Moorside; Wesleyan chapels are at Illingworth-Moor, Mount-Tabor, and Nursery-Lane: Primitive Methodist chapels are at Bradshaw and Ogden; New Connexion Methodist chapels are at Upper Brockholes and Friendly Fold; alms-houses for six aged women and a free school with £25 a year from endowment are at Popples; and an Independent school is at Ovenden-Moor-side. The sub-district is conterminate with the township.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Halifax
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Diocese: Post-1835 – Ripon, Pre-1836 – York
Rural Deanery: Pontefract
Poor Law Union: Halifax