Oswaldkirk is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Other places in the parish include: Oswaldkirk Quarter, Newton Grange, East Newton and Laysthorp, and Ampleforth Oswaldkirk.
Riding: North Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1601
- Land Common to Ampleforth Birdforth, Ampleforth St Peter and Ampleforth Oswaldkirk
- Helmsley with Sproxton, Rievaulx and Carlton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
OSWALDKIRK, a village, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Helmsley district, N. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 1½ mile N of Gilling r. station, and 3¼ S of Helmsley; and has a post-office under York. The township includes the village, and extends into the country. Real property, £2,401. Pop., 219. Houses, 44. The parish contains also the township of Ampleforth-Oswaldkirk; is much interlocked with Ampleforth parish; and comprises, jointly with that parish, 3,573 acres. Real property of O. parish alone, £3,941. Pop. in 1851, 428; in 1861, 524. Houses, 96. The increase of pop. was mainly in Ampleforth-Oswaldkirk township; and arose from the presence of workmen employed in enlarging the Roman Catholic college. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to R. B. Oakley, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £868. Patrons, the Trustees of the Rev. T. Comber. The church is good, and contains several monuments. There are a Wesleyan meeting-place, a slightly endowed school, and charities £29. R. Dodsworth, the antiquary, was a native. The sub-district contains also Ampleforth and Gilling parishes, and seven townships in four other parishes. Acres, 16,041. Pop., 2,124. Houses, 420.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Helmsley
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Rural Deanery: Riddal
Poor Law Union: Helmsley