Ossett cum Gawthorpe is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire, created in 1718 from Dewsbury All Saints Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Ossett Street and Gawthorpe.
Alternative names: Dewsbury Holy Trinity, Ossett, Ossett with Gawthorpe
Riding: West Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1792
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1813
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Particular Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
OSSETT, a village and a chapelry in Ossett-with-Gawthorpe township, Dewsbury parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands adjacent to the Wakefield and Batley branch of the West Yorkshire railway, 3 miles W of Wakefield; is a large place; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post-office under Wakefield. The chapelry includes the village, and all the N section of the township; and was constituted in 1858. Rated property, £17,694. Pop. in 1861, 4,932. Houses, 1,023. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to S. W. L. Fox, Esq.; and much of the land, to the Earl of Cardigan. There are coal mines, several large woollen cloth mills, a woollen machine manufactory, and a foundry. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £300. Patron, the Vicar of Dewsbury. The old church was a plain stone structure; and consisted of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. The new church was built in 1865, after designs by Crossland of Leeds; is a cruciform edifice, in the geometric style; has a lofty clerestory, a central tower and spire 226 feet high, and E and W five-light windows, filled with painted glass in memorial of members of the Ingham family; is internally adorned with elaborate carving, and with a richly sculptured reredos; and contains about 900 sittings. There are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, United Free Methodists, and Christian Brethren; a recently formed burying-ground; a mechanics' institute; and an endowed school, with £24 a year.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Dewsbury
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Diocese: Post-1835 - Ripon, Pre-1836 - York
Rural Deanery: Pontefract
Poor Law Union: Dewsbury