Osmotherley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Other places in the parish include: Foxton, Ellerbeck, West Harlsey, Thimbleby, Harsley Castle, and Harlsey Castle.
Riding: North Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1696
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
OSMOTHERLEY, a village, a township, and a parish, in Northallerton district, N. R. Yorkshire. The village is beautifully situated, and stands on the source of the Wiske, under the Hambleton Hills, 5 miles SE of Welbury r. station, and 6 ENE of Northallerton; and has a post-office under Northallerton, an ancient weather-worn cross, and fairs on 3 May and 18 Oct. The township comprises 3,260 acres. Real property, £3,402: of which £14 are in quarries. Pop in 1851, 935; in 1861, 995. Houses, 235. The parish contains also the townships of Thimbleby, Ellerbeck, and West Harlsey. Acres, 7,220. Real property, £7,734. Pop. in 1851, 1,253; in 1861, 1,320. Houses, 289. The property is subdivided. A Carthusian priory was founded at Mount Grace, in 1396, by the Duke of Surrey; and has left some remains. An ancient castle was in West Harlsey, and has left some ruins. There are a linen manufactory, bleach-works, and corn mills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £200. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church has a tower, and has been recently repaired. There are chapels for Methodists and Roman Catholics.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Northallerton
Probate Court: Pre-1836 - Court of the Peculiar of the Bishop of Durham and the Dean and Chapter of Allerton and Allertonshire, Post-1835 - Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Rural Deanery: Cleveland
Poor Law Union: Northallerton