Ormesby is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Other places in the parish include: Upsall, Normanby near Guisbrough, Normanby, Morton near Stokesley, Morton, Cleveland Port, Cargo Fleet, Upsil, and Upsall near Guisbrough.
Alternative names: Ormsby
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1599
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1601
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Newton in Cleveland
- Middlesbrough St Hilda
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ORMSBY, a village, a township, and a parish in Guisbrough district, N. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 1 mile E of a station of its own name on the Middlesborough and Guisbrough railway, and 5 SSE of Middlesborough; and has a post-office under Middlesborough. The township contains also the sea-port village of Cleveland-Port, on the estuary of the Tees; and comprises 2,768 acres of land, and 78 of water. Real property, £4,804. Pop. in 1851, 446; in 1861, 1,105. Houses, 201. The parish contains also the townships of Eston, Normanby, Upsall, and Morton. Acres, 8,948; of which 1,268 are water. Real property, £38,769; of which £12,310 are in iron-works. Pop. in 1851, 1,172; in 1861, 6,299. Houses, 1,139. The increase of pop. both in O. township and in the rest of the parish, arose mainly from the opening of extensive ironstone works, and from the establishment of blast furnaces. The property is not much divided. Part of Ormsby estate was sold, in the time of the Commonwealth, for £3,509; and re-purchased, in 1770, for £47,000. The manor belongs to Capt. J. H. Pennyman. Ormsby Hall is the chief residence. The scenery takes characteristic features, both by day and by night, from the blast furnaces; and some vantage grounds in the N command good views over the estuary of the Tees. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £300. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is ancient, and was repaired in 1820. The p. curacy of Eston was made a separate benefice in 1867. There are a reading-room, a small library, a slightly endowed school, and charities £9.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Guisborough
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Rural Deanery: Cleveland
Poor Law Union: Guisborough