Last Updated:

Lythe, Yorkshire Family History Guide

Lythe is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.

Other places in the parish include: Kettleness, Hutton Mulgrave, Goldsbrough, Ellerby near Whitley, Ellerby, East Row, Briscoe, Borrowby near Whitby, Borrowby, Barnby, Ugthorpe, Sandsend, Nickleby, Newton Mulgrave, and Mickleby.

Status: Ancient Parish

Riding: North Riding

Parish church: St. Oswald

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1634
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1619

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist. Roman Catholic chapel at Ugthorpe.

Parishes adjacent to Lythe

  • Whitby
  • Glaisdale
  • Egton
  • Hinderwell with Roxby
  • Grosmont

Historical Descriptions

Lythe

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

LYTHE, a village, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Whitby district, N. R. Yorkshire. The village stands near the coast, 3¾ miles NW of Whitby r. station; was once a market-town; and has a post office under Whitby.-The township comprises 3,620 acres of land, and 284 of water. Real property, £5,845; of which £240 are in mines. Pop., 1,053. Houses, 242.—The parish contains also the townships of Hutton-Mulgrave, Barnby, Ugthorpe, Mickleby, Ellerby, Newton-Mulgrave, Borrowby, and Egton. Acres, 29,130. Real property, £22,426. Pop., 3,233. Houses, 656. The property is not much divided. The manor belonged once to the Mauleys, and belongs now to the Marquis of Normanby. Mulgrave Castle, the Marquis' seat, is a handsome edifice, in the castellated style; stands on an elevated site, commanding fine views; and is surrounded by a very beautiful park. An ancient stronghold, whence the castle took its name, stood on a ridge of hill within the park; is said to have been built by the Saxon Wade or Wada, about 200 years before the Norman conquest; was dismantled, by order of the parliament, in the time of Charles I,; and is now represented by ruins, comprising a central keep with corner towers, a square tower at the entrance, and some fragments of other walls. Wade, the builder of the old castle, is traditionally said to have been a giant, and to have made the road from Dunsley to Malton called Wade's causeway. A lofty cliff at Kettleness, surmounted by a hamlet, became undermined; and, on a night of Dec. in 1829, glided down to the sea. Alum work are at Kettleness and Sandsend, and have been worked for upwards of two centuries. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £300. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is ancient, with a tower; and has been greatly altered by modern restorations and repairs. The vicarages of Ugthorpe and Grosmont are separate benefices. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, a clightly endowed school, and charities £7. The sub-district excludes Egton township, but includes Hinderwell parish. Acres, 18,384. Pop., 4,923. Houses 1,042.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Lythe, 3 miles N.W. Whitby. P. 2080

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Newton Mulgrave

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Newton-Mulgrave, in Lythe, 7 m. Whitby. P. 105

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Acre Ings, N. R. The New Yorkshire Gazetteer 1828

Acre Ings, N. R. (2) a hamlet in the township of Newton Mulgrave, parish of Lythe, wapentake of Langbarugh, 8 miles N.W. from Whitby.

Source: The New Yorkshire Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary; Stephen Reynolds Clarke; London 1828.

Family History Links

FamilySearch Historical Records

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Yorkshire
Civil Registration District: Whitby
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Diocese: York
Rural Deanery: Cleveland
Poor Law Union: Whitby
Hundred: Langbaurgh
Province: York