Long Marston is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Other places in the parish include: Hutton Wandesley and Angram.
Riding: West Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1645
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1634
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- Askham Richard
- Moor Monkton
- Kirk Hammerton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MARSTON (LONG), a village and a township in Tadcaster district, W. R. Yorkshire, and a parish partly also in Wetherby district, W. R. Yorkshire, and partly in York district, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands adjacent to the York, Knaresborough, and Harrogate railway, 6¼ miles W by N of York; and has a station on the railway and a post office under York, both of the name of Marston. The township comprises 2,540 acres. Real property, £3,397. Pop., 405. Houses, 91. The parish contains also the townships of Angram and Hutton-Wandesley, and comprises 4,281 acres. Real property, £5,282. Pop., 586. Houses, 126. The property is divided among a few. The manor of Marston belongs to A. Montagu, Esq.; and that of Angram and Hutton-Wandesley, to Lord Wenlock. Hutton-Wandesley Hall is the seat of the Hon. R. N. Lawley. Marston-Moor, about 1½ mile SSW of the village, is famous as the battlefield where Fairfax and Cromwell, in 1644, defeated the royalists under Prince Rupert. "On Marston Heath Met, front to front, the ranks of death; Flourished the trumpets fierce, and now Fired was each eye, and flushed each brow; On either side loud clamours ring, ' God and the Cause ! '-' God and the King !' Right English all, they rushed to blows, With nought to win, and all to lose." Upwards of 4,000 bodies were buried on the field; and the graves are still observable, while interesting relics of the battle are occasionally turned up by the plough. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £865. Patron, Lord Wenlock. The church has Norman arches in combination with more recent architecture; is in good condition; consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with porch and tower; and contains monuments of the Thwaites, the Thompsons, the Ronndells, the Micklethwaites, and the Smiths. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £142.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Tadcaster
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Rural Deanery: City of York and Ainsty
Poor Law Union: Barwick Gilbert Union
Hundred: York (Ansty)