Londesborough is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Other places in the parish include: Londesborough with Easthorpe and East Thorpe.
Riding: East Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1580
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
- Middleton on the Wolds
- Market Weighton
- Hayton with Bielby
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LONDESBOROUGH, a parish, with a railway station, in Pocklington district, E. R. Yorkshire; on Ermine street, adjacent to the York and Market-Weighton railway, 2 ½ miles NNW of Market-Weighton. It contains the hamlet of East Thorpe; is believed to include the Roman station Delgovitia; and gives the title of Baron to the family of Denison. Post town, Market-Weighton, under Brough, Yorkshire. Acres, 4,200. Real property, £5,030. Pop., 306. Houses, 57. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Cliffords and others, and passed to the Duke of Devonshire. Londesborough Park is the seat of Lord Londesborough; and has finely wooded grounds, in which Roman coins and other antiquities have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £798. Patron, Lord Londesborough. The church is ancient but good; has a tower; and contains several brasses and marble ornaments, and a stone font. There are a national school, alms houses for 12 persons with £100 a year from endowment, and other charities £3.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Pocklington
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Rural Deanery: Harthill and Hull
Poor Law Union: Pocklington