Loftus is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Other places in the parish include: Waupley, Wapley, Street Houses, and South Lofthouse.
Alternative names: Lofthouse, Loftus in Cleveland
Riding: North Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1697
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
- Skelton in Cleveland
- Danby with Castleton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LOFTHOUSE, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Guisbrough district, N. R. Yorkshire. The Village stands 1½ mile from the coast, 4¾ ESE of Saltburn r. station, and 7 NE by E of Guisbrough; and has a postoffice† under Redcar, and a customary weekly market on Thursday. The parish contains also the hamlets of South Lofthouse, Wapley, and Street-Houses. Acres, 3,935; of which 160 are water. Real property, £5,849: of which £215 are in mines, and £741 in ironworks. Pop. in 1851, 1,192; in 1861, 1,103. Houses, 253. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Earl of Zetland. Lofthouse Hall is a chief residence. Aluminous rocks abound; and there are alum works, stone quarries, and brick and tile works. A fine plesiosaurus was found here, and is now in the Yorkshire museum. A circular mound, with an ancient entrenchment, is W of the village. A small Benedictine priory stood at Handall, 1 mile S; was founded in 1133 by William Percy; occupied a charming site, among glens and dales, with a fine view of the ocean; and has left scarcely any vestiges. A sword of Sir R. Bruce, of the time of Elizabeth, was discovered on the site of the chapter-house, under a stone coffin, inscribed "the snake-killer;" and that coffin is supposed to have contained the remains of a valiant young knight who rescued an earl's daughter from a serpent in Scaw-wood. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £575. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was rebuilt in 1811, after designs by Bonomi. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyan Methodists. John Hopkinson, the antiquary, who was so highly respected during the civil war of Charles I., as to receive letters of protection from the rival commanders in Yorkshire, was a resident; and Gen. the Hon. Sir R. Dundas died here in 1844. The sub-district contains also Easington parish and parts of two other parishes. Acres, 16,302. Pop., 2,339. Houses, 503.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Guisborough
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Rural Deanery: Cleveland
Poor Law Union: Guisborough