Lockwood is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire, created in 1831 from chapelry in Almondbury Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Taylor Hill, Salford, Primrose Hill, and Newsome
Alternative names: Almondbury Emmanuel
Riding: West Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1830
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Particular Baptist, and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LOCKWOOD, a village, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Almondbury parish, Huddersfield district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands adjacent to the river Holme, and to the Huddersfield and Holmfirth railway, 1 mile SSW of Huddersfield; is large and well built; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Huddersfield. The township comprises 804 acres. Pop. in 1851, 5,556; in 1861, 6,755. Houses, 1,448. The increase of pop. arose from the erection of several new factories. The chapelry includes also part of Almondbury township; contains the villages of Lockwood, Salford, Newsome, Primrose-Hill, Taylor-Hill, and Crossland-Moor; and was constituted in 1842. Rated property, £15,327. Pop., 8,783. Houses, 1,820. The property is much subdivided. The manufacture of woollen cloths, both plain and fancy, is carried on; machines of all kinds, for manufacturing uses, are made in an extensive iron and brass foundry; and there is a Very large brewery. Chalybeate springs and baths also are here; have a handsome building, erected in 1827; and are highly esteemed for their medicinal qualities. The Huddersfield and Sheffield railway traverses the chapelry, and has here a viaduct 350 feet long, with 36 arches, and with a maximum height of 136 feet. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £300. Patron, the Vicar of Almondbury. The church is in the decorated English style; and has a fine E window, and a bell-turret. A portion of the chapelry around Rashcliffe, with a pop. of 4,140, was recently made a separate charge. A national school there was built in 1860, as a memorial to J. Fenton, Esq., and was used also as a church. There are two Baptist chapels and a Free Methodist chapel in Lockwood, a Free Methodist chapel in Crossland-Moor, a large national school at Lockwood, a national school at Newsome, and a mechanics' institute, with library and reading-room, at Lockwood. A family who figure in the ballad, the "History of Sir J. Ealand, "took name from Lockwood. The sub-district comprises Lockwood township and part of Linthwaite township. Acres, 1,329. Pop., 9,488. Houses, 1,988.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Huddersfield
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Diocese: Post-1835 - Ripon, Pre-1836 - York
Rural Deanery: Pontefract
Poor Law Union: Huddersfield