Idle is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire, created in 1717 from chapelry in Calverley Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Wrose, Windhill, Thorpe Green, Thorpe, Thackley, Parkhill, Green, Cross Keys, and Buckmill.
Riding: West Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1788
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1813
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Particular Baptist, Presbyterian, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
IDLE, a village, a township, a chapelry, and a subdistrict, in Bradford district, W. R. Yorkshire. The Village stands on a declivity on the S side of Airedale, adjacent to the Leeds and Liverpool canal and to the river Aire, 3 miles N by E of Bradford; is large and irregularly built; carries on a very considerable woollen cloth manufacture; and has a post office under Leeds, and two annual cattle fairs. A railway from it to Bradford was authorised in 1866; and another from that line to Shipley, 2½ miles, in 1867. The township contains also the village of Windhill, and the hamlets of Thackley, Thorpe-Green, Parkhill, Cross-Keys, Buckmill, and Wrose; and is in Calverley parish. Acres, 2,420. Real property, £21,003; of which £124 are in mines, and £2,480 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 7,118; in 1861, 9,155. Houses, 2,056. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of the woollen cloth manufacture. The manor belongs to W. R.Stansfield, Esq. The chapelry is conterminate with the township. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £300. Patron, the Vicar of Calverley. The church was built in 1830; is in the later English style; and has a pinnacled tower. There are two chapels for Independents, three for Wesleyans, and one each for Churchmen, Baptists, Primitive Methodists, and Unitarians. There are likewise a mechanics, institute, a young men's church institute, two national schools, and two British schools. There was an Independent theological academy, but it was removed to Bradford. The sub-district contains also another township of Calverley, and one of Bradford. Acres, 4,226. Pop., 14,574. Houses, 3,310.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Yorkshire
- Civil Registration District: Bradford
- Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
- Diocese: Post-1835 - Ripon, Pre-1836 - York
- Rural Deanery: Pontefract
- Poor Law Union: North Bierley
- Hundred: Morley
- Province: York