Houghton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire, created in 1739 from Gisburn Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Owlshaw.
Alternative names: Tosside St Bartholomew, Tosside, Tossett, Houghton Chapel, Gisburn Forest
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1769
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1776
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GISBURN-FOREST, a township in Gisburn parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 8 miles S of Settle. It contains the hamlets of Haughton-Chapel and Owlshaw. Acres, 4,756. Real property, £2,491. Pop., 301. Houses, 62.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Settle
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Diocese: Post-1835 – Ripon, Pre-1836 – York
Rural Deanery: Craven
Poor Law Union: Clitheroe
Hundred: Staincliff and Ewcross