Hemingbrough is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Other places in the parish include: Woodhall, South Duffield, Osgodby in Barlby, Osgodby, Menthorpe with Bowthorpe, Menthorpe cum Bowthorpe, Menthorpe, Lund with Cliffe, Cliffe cum Lund, Cliff cum Lund, Brackenholme with Woodall, Brackenholme cum Woodhall, Brackenholme, and Bowthorpe.
Riding: East Riding
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1605
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1661
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HEMINGBROUGH, a village and a township in Howden district, and a parish partly also in Selby district, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Ouse, near the influx of the Derwent, 1 mile SE of Cliff r. station, and 4 ESE of Selby; probably occupies the site of a Roman fort or station; was once a market town; and has a post office under Howden. The township comprises 1,094 acres. Real property, £2,425. Pop., 579. Houses, 141. The parish contains also the townships of Menthorpe-with-Bowthorpe, Brackenholme-with-Woodall, Osgodby, South Duffield, and Cliff-cum-Lund, and the chapelry of Barlby. Acres, 10,420. Real property, £17,691. Pop. in 1851, 2,072; in 1861, 2,297. Houses, 497. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Wilsons. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £85. Patron, the Crown. The church is ancient, cruciform, and good; has a central tower and spire, 191 feet high, figuring beautifully in the landscape; shows fine architectural details, both externally and internally; was collegiate from 1426 till the Reformation; and contains a screen, an altar-tomb, and several monuments. The p. curacy of Barlby is a separate benefice. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £41 a year, and other charities with £42
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Howden
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of Durham within the Jurisdiction of Howden and Howdenshire
Rural Deanery: Bulmer
Poor Law Union: Howden
Hundred: Ouse and Derwent