Farnley (near Otley) Yorkshire Family History Guide

Farnley (near Otley) is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire, created in 1746 from Otley Ancient Parish. 

Alternative names: Otley All Saints

Riding: West Riding

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1906
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: None

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

FARNLEY, a township-chapelry in Otley parish, W. R. Yorkshire; near the river Wharfe, 2 miles NNE of Otley, and 3¾ NW of Arthington r. station. Post town, Otley. Acres, 1,822. Real property, £2,850. Pop., 186. Houses, 30. Farnley Hall is the seat of F. H. Fawkes, Esq.; is a fine Tudor edifice, with modern additions; and has, among other paintings, Guido's "Magdalene" and Vandyke's "Duchess of Arenberg. " The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £40. Patron, F. H. Fawkes, Esq. The church is recent.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Administration

County: Yorkshire
Civil Registration District: Otley
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Diocese: Post-1835 - Ripon, Pre-1836 - York
Rural Deanery: Pontefract
Poor Law Union: Carlton Gilbert Union
Hundred: Claro
Province: York