Farnley (near Leeds) is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire, created in 1723 from chapelry in Leeds St Peter Ancient Parish; located on Chapel Lane.
Riding: West Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1791
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1813 (see also Leeds St Peter)
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist, Protestant Dissenters, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
FARNLEY, a chapelry in Leeds parish, W. R. Yorkshire; within Leeds parliamentary borough, 2 miles W of Churwell r. station, and 4 SW by W of Leeds. Acres, 1,990. Real property, £13,280; of which £3,704 are in mines, £1,960 in ironworks, and £45 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1,722; in 1861, 3,064. Houses, 619. The property is divided among a few. Farnley Hall is a chief residence. The increase of pop. arose from the establishment of ironworks, and the erection of houses for the operatives. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the cloth trade. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £204. Patron, the Bishop of Ripon. The church was built in the last century, and is good. There are chapels for Wesleyans and P. Methodists, a national school, and an ironworks school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Hunslet
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Diocese: Post-1835 - Ripon, Pre-1836 - York
Rural Deanery: Pontefract
Poor Law Union: Carlton Gilbert Union
Hundred: Leeds Borough