Denby is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire, created in 1738 from Penistone Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Lower and Upper Bagden, High Flatts, Exley Gate, Dryhill, and Birdsedge.
Alternative names: Penistone St John the Evangelist
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1851
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1699
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- High Hoyland
- New Mill
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DENBY, a township and a chapelry in Penistone parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies at the head of the river Dearne, on the Huddersfield and Sheffield railway, near Denby-Dale r. station, and 8 miles W of Barnesley; and includes the hamlets of Denby-Dale, Dryhill, Exley-Gate, High Flatts, and Lower and Upper Bagden. Acres, 2,870. Real property, £5,306. Pop., 1,813. Houses, 375. The chapelry is larger than the township, and was constituted in 1853. Post-town, Denby-Dale, under Huddersfield. Pop., 2,262. Houses, 467. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £129. Patron, the Vicar of Penistone. The church was rebuilt in 1843. There are four dissenting chapels, a slightly endowed school, and charities £12.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch Catalog - Free
Manors - Inventories, registers, catalogs
Lord Savile Yorkshire estate records, compiled 1969-70 Author: Dewsbury Central Library (Dewsbury, Yorkshire); Savile Estate Office (Thornhill, Yorkshire); National Register of Archives. West Riding (Northern Section) Committee
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Yorkshire
- Civil Registration District: Wortley
- Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
- Diocese: Post-1835 - Ripon, Pre-1836 - York
- Rural Deanery: Pontefract
- Poor Law Union: Penistone
- Hundred: Staincross
- Province: York