Coverham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Other places in the parish include: Ashgill, Arkleside, Agglethorpe with Coverham, Agglethorpe, Woodale, West Scrafton, West Close, Tupgill, Swineside, Pickill, Melmerby near Coverham, Melmerby, Little and West Scrafton, Little Scrafton, Hindlethwaite, Gammersgill, Flensop, East Scrafton, Coverhead, Cotiscue, Carlton Town, Carlton Highdale, Carlton, Caldbridge, Caldbergh with East Scrafton, Caldbergh, Brecongill, Braidley, Blackrake, Bird-ridding, and Bird Riding.
Alternative names: Coverham cum Agglethorpe
Riding: North Riding
Parish church: Holy Trinity
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1707
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1606
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
- West Witton
- East Witton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COVERHAM, a township and a parish in Leyburn district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township bears the name of Coverham-cum-Agglethorpe; lies on the river Cover, 2 miles SW of Middleham, and 4 SSW of Leyburn r. station; and includes the hamlets or villages of Cotiscue, Tupgill, Ashgill, Brecongill, and Bird-Ridding. Acres, 1,090. Real property, £2,114. Pop., 220. Houses, 27. The parish contains also the townships of Caldbridge, West Scrafton, Carlton, Carlton-Highdale, and Melmerby; and its Post towns are Middleham and Carlton, both under Bedale. Acres, 21,726. Real property, £9,270. Pop., 1,191. Houses, 240. The property is much subdivided. Much of the surface is hill and moor. A small Premonstratensian priory was founded here, in 1215, by Ralph Fitz-Robert; and some small but interesting remains of it exist, adjoined to a handsome modern residence. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Horsehouse, in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £220. Patron, T. Topham, Esq. The church has a tower, and is good; and there are charities £91.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Agelthorpe, 1½ mile W. Coverham. P. 205.
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Agel-Thorpe, or Aylethorpe, a township in the parish of Coverham, north riding of Yorkshire; 2 miles west of Middleham. Pop., in 1801, 156; in 1831, 188. Houses 20. Acres 1,090. A. P. £1,946.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Civil Registration District: Leyburn
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Eastern Deaneries - Catterick
Diocese: Post-1835 - Ripon, Pre-1836 - York
Rural Deanery: Catterick
Poor Law Union: Leyburn
Hundred: West Hang