Cawood is an Ecclesiastical Parish and a market town in the county of Yorkshire, created in 1810 from chapelry in Wistow Ancient Parish.
Riding: West Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1591
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1636
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CAWOOD, a village and a parish in Selby district, W. R Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Ouse, 3 miles ESE of Ulleskelf r. station, and 4½ WNW of Selby. It was formerly a market town; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a post office under Selby, and fairs on 13 May and 23 Sept. A castle was built at it, about 920, by King Athelstane; given to the see of York; rebuilt, in a palatial style, in the time of Henry VI., by Archbishops Bowett and Kempe; held, for two years, by the royalists, in the wars of Charles I.; and taken and dismantled by the parliamentarians. Many of the archbishops lived in the castle as their chief residence; Archbishop Matthew, famed for extemporaneous preaching, and Archbishop Montaigne, a native of Cawood, died in it; and Cardinal Wolsey retired to it after his fall, and was arrested in it by the Earl of Northumberland. The only remains of it are the gateway tower, square and buttressed, and a brick building, which seems to have been a chapel. The parish comprises 2,840 acres. Real property, £6,566. Pop., 1,243. Houses, 301. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £300. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is early English and good; and there are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. An hospital has £76 from endowment; a school, £103; and other charities £252.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Selby
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Prebend of Wistow
Rural Deanery: City of York and Ainsty
Poor Law Union: Selby
Hundred: Barkstone Ash