Burythorpe, Yorkshire Family History Guide

Burythorpe is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.

Other places in the parish include: Thornthorpe.

Alternative names:

Parish church: All Saints

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1720
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1633

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Adjacent Parishes

  • Westow
  • Langton
  • Norton
  • Birdsall
  • Sutton
  • East Acklam

Parish History

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

BURYTHORP (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Malton, wapentake of Buckrose, E. riding of York, 4 miles (S.) from Malton; containing 226 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Malton to Pocklington, at the base of the Yorkshire Wolds, and comprises about 1200 acres, of which two-thirds are arable, and the remainder meadow, pasture, and woodland; the surface is hilly, the soil various, and in general good, and the scenery in many situations very beautiful. Stone is quarried for burning into lime, and for the roads. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £6. 16. 3., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £264. 9. 9., and the glebe comprises 25 acres. The church is an ancient edifice with substantial buttresses. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. In 1768, Francis Consith died here, at the extraordinary age of 150 years.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Administration

  • County: Yorkshire
  • Civil Registration District: Malton
  • Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
  • Diocese: York
  • Rural Deanery: Buckrose
  • Poor Law Union: Malton
  • Hundred: Buckrose
  • Province: York