Burton Leonard is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Parish church: St. Helen
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1672
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1632
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
- South Stainley
- Bishop Monkton
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BURTON-LEONARD (St. Helen), a parish, in the Lower division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding of York, 5 miles (N. N. W.) from Knaresborough; containing 455 inhabitants. It comprises 1739a. 2r. 39p., of which 1100 acres are arable, and the remainder grassland; the soil is of an inferior kind, and the surface generally undulated: stone of excellent quality is burnt for lime. Many of the inhabitants were formerly employed in the flax and linen trade, but it has entirely ceased. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £3. 1. 0½.; net income, £140; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of York: a glebe-house was erected in 1839, and there are 45 acres of glebe. The church is a small plain structure, built in 1782. There are places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Yorkshire
- Civil Registration District: Ripon
- Probate Court: Post-1835 - Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Eastern Deaneries - Boroughbridge, All years - Court of the Peculiar of the Honour of Knaresborough, Pre-1836 - Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of York
- Diocese: Post-1835 - Ripon, Pre-1836 - York
- Rural Deanery: Boroughbridge
- Poor Law Union: Great Ouseburn Gilbert Union
- Hundred: Claro
- Province: York