Burton Fleming is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Alternative names: Fleming Burton, North Burton
Parish church: St. Cuthbert
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Wold Newton
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BURTON-FLEMING, or North Burton (St. Cuthbert), a parish, in the union of Bridlington, wapentake of Dickering, E. riding of York, 7 miles (N. W. by W.) from Bridlington; containing 460 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 3590 acres: the soil, opening to the south-west, is chalky, producing all kinds of grain of an excellent quality, and turnips in great abundance. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the king’s books as a discharged vicarage at £6. 4. 2.; net income, £95; patron, Capt. Robert Mitford, R.N. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1768. The church is a neat edifice, consisting of a nave and chancel, with a low tower; it contains a beam perfectly sound, marked “June, 1574.” There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Yorkshire
- Civil Registration District: Bridlington
- Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
- Diocese: York
- Rural Deanery: Dickering
- Poor Law Union: Bridlington
- Hundred: Dickering
- Province: York