Burton Agnes is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire. Harpham is a chapelry of Burton Agnes.
Other places in the parish include: Haisthorpe, Gransmoor, and Thornholme.
Alternative names: Agnes Burton, Burton Agnes with Harpham
Parish church: St. Martin
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1700
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Beeford with Lissett and Dunnington
- Foston on the Wolds
- Little Kelk
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BURTON-AGNES (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Bridlington, wapentake of Dickering, E. riding of York; comprising the townships of BurtonAgnes, Gransmoor, Haisthorpe, and Thornholm; and containing 603 inhabitants, of whom 322 are in the township of Burton-Agnes, 6½ miles (N. E. by E.) from Great Driffield. The parish comprises 7167 acres, of which 3323 are common or waste. The Hall, a noble brick mansion, and the seat of the ancient family of Boynton, was built about the year 1703. The living is a vicarage, with the living of Harpham annexed, valued in the king’s books at £20. 6. 3.; patron, Thomas Raikes, Esq.; appropriator, the Archbishop of York. The tithes have been commuted for £865. 16. payable to the archbishop, and £735. 10. to the vicar, who has 130 acres of glebe. The church, an ancient structure with a square embattled tower crowned with pinnacles, presents every variety of style from Norman to later English, and contains a beautiful monument in alabaster, with the effigies of a knight and his lady; and also a fine old Norman font, which was lately restored, after having been used for many years as a flower-bed in the vicarage garden. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a national school is partly supported by a portion of the produce of land bequeathed by Richard Green, a former vicar, in 1563, and yielding £50 per annum, the residue of which is appropriated to the relief of the poor and the repair of the church. An hospital for four widows was founded, and endowed with an annuity of £20. 10., by the widow of the late William Boynton, Esq.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Yorkshire
- Civil Registration District: Bridlington
- Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
- Diocese: York
- Rural Deanery: Dickering
- Poor Law Union: Bridlington
- Hundred: Dickering
- Province: York