Brighouse is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire, created in 1836 from Lightcliffe Ecclesiastical Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Hipperholme cum Brighouse with Lightcliff and Coleys.
Alternative names: Halifax St Martin
Riding: West Riding
Parish church: St Martin
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1831
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1841
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Methodist New Connexion, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Halifax St Ann in the Grove
- Hartshead cum Clifton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BRIGHOUSE, a village and a chapelry in Hipperholme-cum-Brighouse township, Halifax parish, and a subdistrict in Halifax district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Calder, adjacent to the Manchester and Leeds railway, 3½ miles ESE of Halifax; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, a post office under Normanton, and fairs on 13 May and 12 Oct. Trade is carried on in cotton, woollen, and worsted manufactures, in malt-making and card-making, and in the working and exporting of building-stone. Fixby Hall, the seat of the Thornhills, is in the vicinity. The chapelry includes the village; and was constituted in 1842. Rated property, £11,660. Pop., 4,562. Houses, 947. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £250. Patron, the Vicar of Halifax. The church is a modern Gothic edifice, built at a cost of £3,515. There are a chapel of ease, two Methodist chapels, and an endowed grammar school with £119 a year. The subdistrict consists of parts of the parishes of Halifax and Dewsbury. Acres, 5,514. Pop., 9,992. Houses, 2,105.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Halifax
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Diocese: Post-1835 - Ripon, Pre-1836 - York
Rural Deanery: Pontefract
Poor Law Union: Halifax