Bowes is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Other places in the parish include: Tar Hill, Tan Hill, Stoney Keld, Sleightholme, Mellwater, Low Fields, Gilmonby, Gillmonby, Gallow Hill, Bowes Cross, Boldron, and Applegarth Forest.
Riding: North Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1670
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1615
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BOWES, a village, a township, and a parish in the district of Teesdale, and N. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Greta, and on the Roman road to Borough, adjacent to the South Durham and Lancashire Union railway, 4 miles SW of Barnard-Castle; and has a station on the railway, a post office under Darlington, and an inn. It consists chiefly of one long street; and formerly was a market-town. The Roman station of Lavatræ occupied its site; and many Roman inscriptions have been found here, one of them narrating the reparation of a bath for the first Thracian cohort. The township includes also the hamlets of Bowes-Cross, Gallow-Hill, Low-Field, Mellwater, Sleightholme, Stoney-Keld, Applegarth-Forest, and part of Tan-Hill. Acres, 16,090. Real property, £7,405. Pop., 769. Houses, 154. The parish contains also the township of Gillmonby. Acres, 18,334. Real property, £8,890. Pop., 849. Houses, 169. The property is much subdivided. Bowes House is the seat of T. Harrison, Esq. A quadrangular tower, 75 feet by 60, and about 53 feet high, part of a castle, built by Allan Niger, first Norman Earl of Richmond, stands on the crown of a hill. defended by a deep ditch; and is supposed to have been constructed of materials taken from the Roman station. A Roman aqueduct, formed for bringing water nearly 2 miles to the Roman baths at the station, was recently discovered. A natural bridge in limestone rock 16 feet in span, crosses the Greta, bears the name of God’s bridge, and is occasionally used as a carriage road. Much of the parish consists of the dreary mountainous tract of Stanemoor. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £90. Patron, T. Harrison, Esq. The church is an humble ancient building, partly Norman; and the churchyard contains the grave and monument of the two lovers commemorated in Mallet’s pathetic ballad of “Edwin and Emma.” A cheap boarding-school at Bowes, now extinct, is said to have been the Dothaboys Hall of Dickens’ “Nicholas Nickleby.” A grammar school, founded in 1693, has an endowed income of £261; other charities, £5.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Teesdale
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Eastern Deaneries – Richmond
Diocese: Post-1835 – Ripon, Pre-1836 – York
Rural Deanery: Richmond
Poor Law Union: Teesdale
Hundred: West Gilling