Bolton Percy is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Other places in the parish include: Appleton Roebuck, Steeton with Streethouses, Hornington, Pallathorpe, and Colton.
In October 1875, the township of Appleton-Roebuck was detached from the parish of Bolton Percy and added to Acaster Selby.
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin: 1571
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Bolton Percy
- Askham Bryan
- Kirkby Wharfe
- Acaster Malbis
- Askham Richard
- Acaster Selby
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND & WALES 1870Photo of All Saints' church Bolton Percy. Thomas Parker was Rector of Bolton Percy 1411 - 1423 and replaced the earlier Saxon church at his owm expense, with much of what we see today. He died in 1423, just before its consecration in 1424. by Richard Croft, some rights reserved.
BOLTON-PERCY, a township and a parish in Tadcaster district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Wharfe, and on the York and North Midland railway, 3½ miles ESE of Tadcaster; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office under Tadcaster. Acres, 2,170. Real property, £5,546. Pop., 292. Houses, 51.. The parish contains also the townships of Appleton-Roebuck, Colton, and Steeton. Acres, 7,148. Real property, £13,492. Pop., 1,118. Houses, 237. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Percys of Topcliffe, and afterwards to the Beaumonts. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £1,540. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is perpendicular English; was erected in 1423; consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and north chapel, with a handsome tower; and contains three beautiful stalls, a well-preserved piscina, a monument to Lord Fairfax, the famous parliamentary general, and a memorial window of 1860 to Sir W. M. Milner, Bart. There are a Wesleyan chapel, three public schools, and charities £34.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF ENGLAND 1831
BOLTON-PERCY, a parish in the ainsty of the city, and east riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Appleton-Roebuck, Bolton-Percy, Colton, and Steeton, and containing 1054 inhabitants, of which number, 238 are in the township of Bolton Percy, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Tadcaster. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king’s books at £39. 15. 2½., and in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. The church, dedicated to All Saints, was built in 1423, by Thomas Parker, the rector : it is a neat structure, decorated with a considerable quantity of stained glass, and containing several monuments belonging to the family of Fairfax.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
LEONARD'S GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1850
Appleton-Roebuck, 1½ mile N.E. Bolton-Percy. P. 564
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
- County: Yorkshire
- Civil Registration District: Tadcaster
- Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
- Diocese: York
- Rural Deanery: Bishopthorpe
- Poor Law Union: Tadcaster
- Hundred: York (Ainsty)
- Province: York