Bolton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire, created in 1748 from Wensley Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Castle Bolton
Riding: North Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1684
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1678
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BOLTON-CASTLE, or Castle-Bolton, a township-chapelry in Wensley parish, N. R. Yorkshire; in Wensleydale, 5½ miles WNW of Leyburn r. station. Post Town, Leyburn, under Bedale. Acres, 5,160. Real property, £1,578. Pop., 259. Houses, 54. Bolton Hall is the seat of Lord Bolton; and gives him his peerage title. Bolton Castle is the ruined seat of Lord Chancellor Scrope, built by him in the reign of Richard Il., at a cost of £12,000; forms a hollow quadrangle, with towers at the corners; was the prison of Mary Queen of Scots for two years before her removal to Tutbury; and sustained a siege by the parliamentarians near the end of the civil war. The living is a p. curacy, united with the p. curacy of Redmire, in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £115. Patron, the Rector of Wensley. The church is ancient.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Leyburn
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Eastern Deaneries - Catterick
Diocese: Post-1835 - Ripon, Pre-1836 - York
Rural Deanery: Catterick
Poor Law Union: Leyburn
Hundred: West Hang