Bishopthorpe is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Alternative names: Bishop-Thorpe, Thorpe-upon-Ouse, St. Andrew’s Thorpe
Other places in the parish include: Dringhouses.
Parish church: St. Andrew
Parish registers begin: 1692
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Bishop-Thorpe, or Thorpe-upon-Ouse, a village and a parish in the district and county of York. The village stands on the left bank of the river Ouse, 1¾ mile E by N of Copmanthorpe r. station, and 3½ S by W of York; and has a post office, of the name of Bishop-Thorpe, under York. The parish comprises 760 acres. Real property, £3,286. Pop., 452. Houses, 88. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the see of York; and Bishop-Thorpe palace on it is the seat of the Archbishops. The palace was erected, in the reign of John, by Archbishop Walter de Grey; was altered or enlarged by Archbishops Sharpe, Dawes, Gilbert, and others; and, as it now stands, was chiefly the work of Archbishop Drummond, who died in 1766. The gateway and the front are in the pointed style, after designs by Atkinson, the former surmounted by a crocketted turret, the latter adorned with a fine entrance-canopy; the chief apartments are elegant, and have good paintings, engravings, and other works of art; and the chapel, which adjoins the dining-room, has an antiquely carved pulpit, a floor of black and white marble, and windows of stained glass,-one of them embellished with the arms of the Archbishops, from the Reformation to the Revolution. The grounds include only about six acres, but are tastefully laid out. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £300. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church was rebuilt in 1768, and again in 1842; has three painted windows, the mullions of one of which belonged formerly to Cawood Castle; and contains the tomb of Archbishop Drummond.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Bishop-Thorpe, 3 m. S. York. P. 404
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Bishop-Thorpe, a parish in the ainsty of the city, and east riding of the county, of York, 3½ miles (S. by W.) from York, containing 301 inhabitants. The living is a discharged Vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king’s books at £4, endowed with £400 private benefaction, and £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. The parish was called St. Andrew’s Thorpe until the manor was purchased, in the reign of John, by Walter de Grey, Archbishop of York, who built a palace and a chapel here, on which account, the episcopal preﬁx was given to it, and it has been the constant residence of the archbishops since the destruction of Cawood castle, in the parliamentary war. The palace was greatly enlarged and embellished, and the parochial church taken down and rebuilt, by Archbishop Drummond, about 1765. Attached to the palace is a chapel founded by de Grey; it is in the. early style of English architecture.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831