Birkby is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Other places in the parish include: Salutation, Little Smeaton with Salutation, Little Smeaton near Northallerton, and Little Smeaton.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1721
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
- Hutton Bonville
- East Cowton
- Great Smeaton
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BIRKBY (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Northallerton, wapentake of Allertonshire, N. riding of York; consisting of the townships of Birkby and Little Smeaton, and the chapelry of Hutton-Bonville; and containing 256 inhabitants, of whom 74 are in the township of Birkby, 6 miles (N. N. W.) from Northallerton. This parish comprises about 3000 acres of land, of which two-thirds are arable, and one-third pasture with a little wood; the soil is a productive clay, and the surface, though not hilly, gently undulated: some parts are subject to inundation from the Wiske river. The York and Newcastle railway, passing to the east of Hutton-Bonville Hall, and slightly curving to the west of Birkby, crosses the Wiske. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £6. 13. 4., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Ripon: the tithes have been commuted for £205, and there are 4 acres of glebe, and an excellent parsonage-house lately built. The church, erected in the year 1776, is a plain brick building. At Hutton-Bonville is a chapel dedicated to St. Lawrence.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Yorkshire
- Civil Registration District: Northallerton
- Probate Court: Pre-1836 - Court of the Peculiar of the Bishop of Durham and the Dean and Chapter of Allerton and Allertonshire, Post-1835 - Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
- Diocese: York
- Rural Deanery: Cleveland
- Poor Law Union: Northallerton
- Hundred: Allertonshire
- Province: York