Birdforth is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire, created in 1739 from chapelry in Coxwold Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1616
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1632
- Carlton Husthwaite
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BIRDFORTH, a chapelry, in the parish of Coxwold, union of Thirsk, wapentake of Birdforth, N. riding of York, 5 miles (N. W. by N.) from Easingwould; containing 44 inhabitants. It comprises 595 acres, of which 259 are arable, and 334 meadow and pasture. The village is situated on the road from Easingwould to Thirsk, and the York and Newcastle railway passes a short distance on the west. The antiquity of the place is evinced by its having given name to the wapentake. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Archbishop of York: the impropriate tithes, belonging to Trinity College, Cambridge, have been commuted for £108. 15., and those of the incumbent for £64. 2. The chapel was partly rebuilt in 1585.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Yorkshire
- Civil Registration District: Thirsk
- Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
- Diocese: York
- Rural Deanery: Easingwold
- Poor Law Union: Thirsk
- Hundred: Birdforth
- Province: York