Bingley Yorkshire Family History Guide

Bingley is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Yorkshire.

Other places in the parish include: Thorpe, Ryshworth, Ryshforth, Riddlesden, Priest Thorpe, Priest, Micklethwaite, Harden, Hainworth, Gilstead, Faweather, Eldwick, Cross Roads, Cross Flatts, Cottingley, Bocking, and Beckfoot.

Riding: West Riding

Parish church: All Saints

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1577
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1601

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, General Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Plymouth Brethren, Presbyterian, Primitive Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.

Adjacent Parishes

  • Shipley cum Heaton
  • Cullingworth
  • Wilsden cum Allerton
  • Morton
  • Ilkley
  • Burley in Wharfedale
  • Otley
  • Baildon

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BINGLEY, a town, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict in the district of Keighley, W. R. Yorkshire. The town stands on an eminence, amid wooded environs, with picturesque views, adjacent to the river Aire, the North-Midland railway, and the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 6 miles NW of Bradford. It is named among the places given by William the Conqueror to his followers; and it had an ancient castle, which has disappeared. It now consists chiefly of one long-street, partly brick, and partly stone; and it has undergone much recent improvement, in connection with manufactures. It has a post office under Leeds, a railway and telegraph station, two chief inns, a parish church, Independent, Baptist and Methodist chapels, a free grammar school, and a new and handsome mechanics' institute; and is a seat of petty sessions and a polling-place. The church is a plain structure of the time of Henry VIII. The grammar school dates from 1529; was recently rebuilt; and has an estate yielding £250 a year. A weekly market was formerly held on Tuesdays; and fairs are now held on 25 Jan., the first Tuesday of April, 25 Aug., and the second Tuesday of Oct. Industry is carried on in the extensive manufacture of worsted yarn, and in iron-founding, tanning, and malting. Pop., 5,238. Houses, 1,153.-The township bears the name of Bingley-with-Micklethwaite; and contains also the hamlets of Beckfoot, Cottingley, Cross-Flatts, Cross-Roads, Cullingworth, Eldwick, Faweather, Gilstead, Hainworth, Harden, Priest-Thorpe, Riddlesden, and Ryshworth. Real property, £35,525. Pop., 13,254. Houses, 2,828. The parish includes likewise the township of Morton. Acres, 13,892. Real property, £44,258. Pop., 15,367. Houses, 3,226. The property is subdivided. Riddlesden Hall was anciently the seat of the Mandes. A large treasure in Roman coins was found in Morton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £500. Patron, the Bishop of Ripon. A new chapelry, called Holy Trinity, was constituted in 1868. The vicarages of Cullingworth and Morton also are separate charges. The sub district is conterminate with the parish.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Leeds & Bradford including Halifax & Brighouse : A1 easy read street atlas

Administration

County: Yorkshire
Civil Registration District: Keighley
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Knights of St John of Jerusalem in Manors of Crossley, Bingley, Cottingley and Pudsey
Diocese: Post-1835 - Ripon, Pre-1836 - York
Rural Deanery: Craven
Poor Law Union: Keighley
Hundred: Skyrack
Province: York